Sunday, August 19, 2012

Garden's bounty & Summer Nightgown

I've posted in the past about my gardening failures and how I have a brown thumb.  Most of my gardening efforts since my last post have proved to fall far from what I had hoped.  So I guess that most of my gardening efforts can be categorized more in the exercise category because weeding and planting often makes me sweat and occasionally I'm sore the next morning.

So for Christmas my wonderful Mother-in-law got me a special planter that is supposed to be fool proof.  (It is self-watering and called an Earth box.  Check it out if you are as poor a gardener as I am.)  I thought carefully about what I should plant in it, something easy to grow, I went with beans.  Today we finally picked them...

...washed and cut them...

...and ate them for dinner :)
(I was hoping to can them, but we barely had enough to satisfy 4 people.) 

 Another thing I wanted to share today was this nightgown pattern.  

I can't remember if I have ever posted it before.  My girls LOVE this night gown.  They have these matching ones and then I let them both choose a second fabric from my collection and I made them each a second nightgown from the fabric they picked.

I think that what they love the most about them is that they are

  1.  Cute
  2. Made of breathable cotton fabric
  3. The gathered part at the top is an elastic casing so it is supper easy for them to pull the nightgowns on and off.
HERE-are the instructions
HERE-is the arm hole pattern piece
HERE-are the dimensions for the fabric needed

I keep wanting to make some more with the rest of my extra fabric but I have run out of bias tape and need to buy or make some more so that I can donate some dresses to the website.  But when I finally make them you can be sure I'll post about it again.  Also, I am thinking that I should make a sleeve pattern to go with the dress because my girls want to wear these nightgowns as dresses around town, but I'm a stickler on modesty, so I always make them change.  I think I might try to combine this pattern with the flutter sleeve top I just posted about.  If I come up with something that looks good, I'll share it and make a tutorial on it if I can find the time.
-Busy Bri

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I had a left over scrap of the border fabric from Amelia's Butterfly quilt and wanted to do something with it.  I have been wanting to try a summer top pattern that I found online, so I figured I'd finally do it.  The Tutorial is HERE and it is by Candace at Sparkle Power.  

 I think it turned out supper cute, My scrap was just a little too short according to her measurements so I used ribbon to make the elastic casings and to cover the raw edge on the hem and sleeves.  I think it made it supper cute.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Butterfly quilt

I saw this quilt on line last year and fell in love with it.  So I got some blue fabric and started collecting my scraps to make the butterflies.  Sadly, I am not so good at piecing together blocks.  They ended up to be all different sizes and there was no way I was going to be able to sew them into the quilt that I wanted.  I was frustrated that I put so much wasted time into it and money for the fabric.
If anyone is better than I am, here is the link.  The pattern is called Frolic'n Butterflies.

But last Month I came up with a solution where I could salvage a bit of what I lost.  Instead of making a pieced block, I could make an un-pieced block and add the butterfly to the top.  I LOVE how they turned out.  So cute and 3 dimensional.  So fun for a baby to pull on and chew.

I started with a pattern for the butterfly that I made myself.  I guess it is sort of shaped like a cloth diaper.  (But much smaller)  I cut out a front and a back, sewed right sides together with a 1/4" seem allowance, leaving a gap at the bottom.
 Then I clipped the curves and corners, turned it right sides out, and pressed into place.
Next I folded the fabric so it looked like wings and basted them by hand.
After that I took the quilt top to the sewing machine and sewed my butterflies onto the white blocks.
Once I made my quilt sandwich I tied the butterflies with brown yarn to look like the body of the butterfly.

If I had more time I would have liked to have put a brown binding around the edge of the quilt, but with a new baby at home I just didn't have time to go out to the fabric store before it was time to give it away.
The blanket found a new home in the arms of one of my friends out here in New England.  She had a baby just about 1 month after my Toby was born and I took the blanket to her when I went to meet her beautiful new baby.  I hope you like it little Amelia!