Sunday, March 20, 2016

GRE prep

I have a VERY specific memory of talking with a friend while attending BYU.  We were walking through the parking lot with the brick oven pizza place on the far south west corner of campus.  She was worrying about all the grad school stuff she need to do.  I very comfortably and confidently told her how happy I was that I would never have to take another test once I was done with my BA.  I was so sure that I would be a stay at home Mom/Grandma for the rest of my life.  She told me, oh, you should take the GRE now because it would be so difficult to prepare for it once you have been out of school for a few years if you change your mind.
Such wise words.  Oh, how I wish I could go back in time and take her advice. As I have been researching what I need to do to prepare for grad school, I am realizing that I need to study up on just about everything to get ready for it.
This article for preparing for the GRE suggests that you

  • Read algebra for dummies and geometry for dummies.  Many reasoning questions are based on these basic math concepts.
  • Use these Study tools from the people who created the test including sample questions, 2 full sample tests, math review and more.
  • Expand your vocabulary.  The vocabulary on the GRE is more difficult than the vocabulary used in the SAT.  The best way to do this is a life time of reading/ Reading your college text books.  (Dang, I've got some work to do.)
  • Take a difficult English course.  The GRE has 2 timed essays that make up about 1/3 of your score.  So having recently done an english course will help you do well on those important chunks of your test.
Ahhhhhh!  This is why I hate being ambitious.  I have to stretch farther than I think I am capable of.  I've been asking God what I can do now to prepare for what He wants me to do next.  I've learned what he wants me to do now, and I'm so nervous that I won't measure up.  I think it is just a big ploy to get me to pray more fervently ;)  
Okay big guy, you've got me.  I'm sure to be on my knees more often and for longer periods of time because I know I can't pass that test on my own.

As luck would have it, there is a GRE testing center in one of the towns we are currently house hunting it.  It says they offer the test year round.  Coincidence?  I think not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment