Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Baby Blanket for Ruby

After stepping away from my job as a proposal writer this Spring and focusing on our move this Summer, I have finally found time this Fall to enjoy sewing and crafting again. My sister-in-law gave me her old sewing machine and it has been such fun to jump back into a non-mandatory hobby again. The sewing machine is a good solid one with metal machinery inside and it has a lot of functions I have not yet explored. Just using the basic stitches, it has been nice not troubleshooting machine issues mid-project like I did with my old machines.
My first order of business was to make an antique looking quilt for my new niece Ruby. 

About 3 years ago I was playing around with applique, making some blocks with hearts and some patchwork blocks, but I never put them together completely. When I found them in my craft closet I knew they would be the perfect thing for a blanket that was to go to a baby with a beautiful timeless name like Ruby.

I really enjoyed all the hand stitching I was able to do on the applique blocks, but our Summer was so busy that when it came time to put it all together before I was to deliver the quilt, I was in a bit of a mad rush packing suitcases and preparing for an event we were to host the next day.  I was only able to complete the quilt top before I left for the airport. When we got to town we hosted our event, then the following day we took Ruby's big sister's with us to the fabric store. They picked out the backing fabric with me and I put it all together that night.

Then I decided that to finish it off we needed to add some quilted heart shapes in the white boarder. So we had all the girl cousins meet up to help hand quilt the white boarder.


We got it to Ruby the day before I flew back home.

Welcome to the world Miss Ruby, we are glad you are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment