Thursday, December 22, 2011

Homemade Ornaments

I was in charge of the activity for playgroup this week, so I searched for a fun activity on-line to do. I found a great one and was all prepared. But sadly, that morning everything was iced over and traffic was HORRIBLE!!! I spend 1 hour in the car and only got 10 minutes away from my house. Everyone else was in the same boat, so I guess we will save the idea for a playgroup next year. But I figured I had already spent the time cutting 18 wooden discs from a tree in our yard, so I let my kids do all of them.

I got the idea here. and I also searched google images for "Christmas thumbprint art" for some other design inspirations. There were some very cute ideas and projects there too.
This is how ours turned out


The project is easy to figure out just by looking at it
  1. cut up a tree/branch into thin slices. (Mine was a little moist on the inside so I put them in the oven for an hour or 2 on 350. It made the house smell nice and piney.)
  2. sand them
  3. drill a hole for a ribbon to go through
  4. write the kids name on the back with the year in a permanent marker
  5. and let those cuties go to town with the paint
  6. when dry thread some ribbon through and hang on tree

No comments:

Post a Comment