Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some of our Navy friends out here had a baby shower for Me and another spouse who is excepting a baby soon.  I knew it was coming, but thought that they were going to do a group gift since that is what has been done for us in the past.  But as the shower got closer I realized that I needed to come up with a gift on my own.  I didn't have a ton of time (1 1/2 days to be exact) but I wanted to do something that would be special.  So I went back to a pattern that I had made before and knew would work up quickly.
This is what I came up with

I loved it on paper, and in the store when I picked out the fabric, and when I wrapped it...  But when she opened it and right now looking at the picture, I think the pink looks strange, Most of the flowers have pink on them, but I think I should have used a pink trim instead of yellow.  Also, the back is a plain lavender and when I was done quilting it I thought it would have been nicer with a subtle print to the purple.

Since I was on a time crunch I quilted it by machine.  I outlined all the blocks and the borders.  Then I quilted a few inches inside of the flower wreath.  I didn't have enough time to tie some yellow ribbon or yarn in the center of each flower like I wanted to, but I'm still happy with it overall.  And it went together a lot faster than the first time I did this pattern.  Probably because I didn't go exclusively by the pattern, I made it my own with the material I had and then took it to the fabric store to find a backing and border fabric.  And that is what a scrappy quilt is meant to be I think.

Anyway.  The pattern is one of Eleanor Burns Free patterns on her Quilt in a Day website.  It is the Rainbow wreath pattern that can be downloaded there.

No comments:

Post a Comment