I saw this quilt on line last year and fell in love with it. So I got some blue fabric and started collecting my scraps to make the butterflies. Sadly, I am not so good at piecing together blocks. They ended up to be all different sizes and there was no way I was going to be able to sew them into the quilt that I wanted. I was frustrated that I put so much wasted time into it and money for the fabric.
If anyone is better than I am, here is the link. The pattern is called Frolic'n Butterflies.
But last Month I came up with a solution where I could salvage a bit of what I lost. Instead of making a pieced block, I could make an un-pieced block and add the butterfly to the top. I LOVE how they turned out. So cute and 3 dimensional. So fun for a baby to pull on and chew.
I started with a pattern for the butterfly that I made myself. I guess it is sort of shaped like a cloth diaper. (But much smaller) I cut out a front and a back, sewed right sides together with a 1/4" seem allowance, leaving a gap at the bottom.
Next I folded the fabric so it looked like wings and basted them by hand.
After that I took the quilt top to the sewing machine and sewed my butterflies onto the white blocks.
Once I made my quilt sandwich I tied the butterflies with brown yarn to look like the body of the butterfly.
If I had more time I would have liked to have put a brown binding around the edge of the quilt, but with a new baby at home I just didn't have time to go out to the fabric store before it was time to give it away.
The blanket found a new home in the arms of one of my friends out here in New England. She had a baby just about 1 month after my Toby was born and I took the blanket to her when I went to meet her beautiful new baby. I hope you like it little Amelia!