Saturday, October 15, 2016

Bathroom tile project continued

Demolition is done and it was as fun as I thought it would be :) 

All the kids were great helpers, happily participating in the trim removal and answering my questions about why they thought we did this/that.  But Maggie was the one with the most staying power, pulling out all 91 staples from the subfloor and Toby was her assistant making sure each staple was put into a bowl out of Danny's reach.
 
I got an email a few days ago that specified the amount we were going to receive from the insurance company to instal the new floor in the bathroom.  $949.20 would come out of the grand total for us to spend on installing a new tile floor in the bathroom instead of having the flooring guys install the wood they are laying in the kitchen/entry all the way into the bathroom.  so I wanted to keep a running total of how much I am spending to see if doing the tile myself is worth it.  (I'm having fun, so I won't regret doing it even if I don't save any money :)

HOME DEPOT $26.31
$6.93 mesh tape to connect pieces of backer board
$7.87 latex primer sealer
$5.97 chalk line kit
$2.56 paint roller cover for applying the latex primer
$2.98 16d nails for spacing

McLENDONS
$16.99 Self Leveling underlayment (25 lb bag)

LOWES $91.50
$19.98 Compound nippers
$59.60 Romano tiles (20 count)
$11.92 Romano Tiles (4 count)

AMAZON $30.19
$7.50 carbide scoring knife
$6.09 painter tool for trim removal
$4.98 caulk remover
$11.62 caulk gun

Total as of 10/15 is $164.99 + tax (10%) =$181.49

I've been given/borrowed some materials (thinnest, tile saw, carpenters level, float, sponge, bucket, mortar mixing attachment, trowel, backer board...) and still have some more items to purchase ( a few more tiles, 1 panel of backer board, screws and grout)  But I think it looks like we will come out ahead :)


No comments:

Post a Comment