Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cheerios cookbook review

I went into a big lots on Tuesday and felt like a kid in a candy store. It was the first time I had been in a store like that in a long time. (Living in the middle of the desert for 2 years sort of does that to a person.) They had a bunch of books for $2, $3, and $5. I got a few recipe books and will be trying them out here. This recipe is from the cheerios cookbook. I liked the cookbook. It was kid friendly with lots of recipes and some craft projects. I thought that the crafts were sort of predictable, but there were a handful of recipes that got me excited.


Today we tried Honey Nut Stacks of Snacks.


They were SO good. Personally, I like almost anything with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. It was yummy to snack all along the road to completion. It uses natural ingredients (Brown Sugar, butter, cheerios, oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.) It is obviously still a dessert, but I like to know what I'm eating and that I am eating some good stuff along with the sugar. We will certainly be making this one again, but will probably cut the recipe in 1/2 or 1/4 if we don't have anyone to share it with :)

The recipe can be found at the Betty Crocker Website Here



We have also tried the Roly Poly PB-Chocolate Balls that can be found here

They have potential, but the recipe needs to be tweaked a bit. I think that they would be better if there was less of the peanut butter/syrup/powder sugar mixture. This could be accomplished by adding extra stuff to the mixture, like more cheerios, or raisins.


Next time I plan to still follow the recipe directions for the chocolate, but use the following ingredients/ratios for the peanut butter balls.

2/3 cup Peanut Butter

1/3 cup powder sugar

1/3 cup honey

2 cups cheerios

1/2 cup raisins


**update** 4/14/2011

this week we made 2 new recipes from the cheerios book. we liked them both and they were easy to make. PB-Chocolate Bars on Cars and Caramel Crispies. I liked the PB- Chocolate Bars best, but Sam loved the caramel crispies the best. They were both delicious and we might just make them again. Now I feel like I've cooked everything I'm interested in, so I will probably put the book into my donation box.

No comments:

Post a Comment