Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rice Goolash

We have a family story about my grandma making goulash for my grandpa when they were newly married that has lead to a few more funny family stories. So when Sam and I were first married I looked up a goulash recipe and tried it out. We really liked it, but the noodles near the top didn't get cooked right and ended up being too crunchy. So I began improvising with the recipe and adapted it over the years. It's one of my favorite recipes to use when I have a bunch of left overs in the fridge.



MY RICE GOULASH

1 cup taco meat

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

2 cups brown rice

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup spaghetti sauce

Mix everything together. Sprinkle with any extra cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

Tips:

  • If you are using left over rice, you will want to break the rice up with a spoon or your hands before you add it to the other ingredients.
  • If your corn is stuck together, then put it in a strainer under running water and let the water break it up for you, then it will be easy to mix.
  • If I don't have any extra taco meat, I like to use frozen meatballs. You can put six at a time in the microwave for 1 minute to de-thaw them. Other wise it would take a long time to cook them in the oven. Or if you want to go vegetarian, add a can of beans (rinsed and drained.) If you are not using the taco meat you will need to add some extra seasoning. So either use a spicy spaghetti sauce, or add some of the seasonings that are in the taco meat recipe when you are mixing all the ingredients together.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment