Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Another unsecsessful cooking project:
I decided to try something that seemed to need a little less heat before I was willing to toss out my solar oven. (Mostly because I spent a LONG time making the stupid thing.) So I used one of the recipies that was in the book that I found the directions for the oven. It was a granola bar recipe.

Ingredients:
3 cups of quick oats
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
3 TBSP butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chocolate chips
1 cup crasins (dried cranberries)

Directions:
  1. Let the oven heat up in the sun for a 1/2 hour.
  2. Grease a muffin tin with 1 TBSP of the butter.
  3. mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl.
  4. spoon mixture into muffin tin and press.
  5. place in oven, cover with plastic wrap and cook for 20-30 minutes.

Results:

  • I was a little sceptical, so I did the same thing in the indoor oven at 200 degrees.
  • Both ovens cooked the tops cooked just fine, but the bottoms were still all gooey. So I emptied the muffin tins and spread the filling over 2 cookie sheets all broken up. This seemed to work just fine.
  • I can't say an exact time to cook it at because I accidentally forgot it was in there and preheated the oven for dinner. Only to find it burning when I put tried to put my dinner in. :) One tray was actually salvageable and didn't burn too bad. I ate it after the girls were in bed and decided that I would try it again another day.

Game plan:

  • Forget the Solar oven: Sounds like Stacy would have told me to do this before I began this process :)
  • Make another batch and just spread it out onto 2 cookie sheets. Put one in the sun and another in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes check on them and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment