This morning I made German pancakes in the dutch oven and it worked out great!!!
I got a great dutch oven book from the library that taught me 2 VERY important things.
- When placing the briquettes, always put 1/3 of them on the ground and the other 2/3 on the lid of the oven
- Rotate the oven during the cooking process. This will help it to cook evenly.
It called for:
- 18-23 briquettes
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter.
- powder sugar to sprinkle on top when cooking is done.
- While the briquettes are getting ready, put the butter in oven in a warm place to melt, and mix all the other ingredients together in a separate bowl. (make sure to start with dry ingredients, make a well in the center and then add wet ingredients.)
- When butter is melted, rotate oven to coat the sides and pour the remaining butter in the bowl and mix it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the dutch oven, cover and place the briquettes with tongs so that 1/3 of them are on the bottom and 2/3 of them are on the top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes. Being sure to rotate the oven about every ten minutes to insure even cooking.
- Before removing from the briquettes make sure the food is completely cooked.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve.