Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mix-trail

I know I've posted about this trail mix we like someplace before, but I don't think I've shared the recipe.
We don't make this very often, but my husband and I took the kids out camping this weekend and let the kids help with the meal planning.  This is one of the things they said absolutely must be on the menu.  So I think they'd be sad if they grew up and couldn't find the recipe here on my blog.
My kids were little when we came up with the recipe and they kept forgetting the name and called it mix-trail instead of trail-mix.  So the name has stuck.


Less-Healthy version of Mix-Trail

6 cups of Cheerios
1 bag of Peanut Butter M & M's (11.40 oz bag)
1 bag of Craisins (10 oz. Bag) 
1 bag of Milk chocolate chips (11.5 oz bag)
1 can of Peanuts (14 oz. can)
1 bag of Caramel bits (11 oz. bag)

  1. Combine everything into the biggest bowl or pot you have.
  2. Mix
  3. Separate into 2 gallon sized zip lock bags (1 for now, 1 for latter)
I like to serve this at big parties like Bunko night.  
But if you don't have a lot of people coming through the door, you will end up with a lot of left overs, eat them all shamelessly, and be sad about it when you realize your pants don't fit good anymore. So I made a more healthy version with a larger cheerio to candy ratio.  1/2 cup of this is about 235 calories for those calorie counters out there.  Also, this all fits into 1 ziplock bag.  I like to put the 1/2 cup measuring cup in the bag so I know how much I am eating.  


Healthy-er version of Mix-Trail
1 cup Caramel Bits
1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
1 cup Peanut Butter M & M's
2 cups Peanuts
2 Cups Craisins
4 Cups Cheerios

  1.  Put everything into a gallon size ziplock bag and close it without squeezing all the air out.  Shake it up good to mix everything together.  Serve
Now hide the left over candy or feed it to your kids so you don't end up eating it all in a moment of weakness.

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment