Thursday, May 2, 2013

SIM 2464 pattern review

Wedding dress option #1
We have a wedding to go to this summer and my Mom tells us that my girls won't be flower girls, but she wants them to wear Coral dresses so that we can have family pictures that will look nice with the wedding backgrounds/flowers.  So first I searched Amazon (My favorite store :) for some dresses that would work, but I didn't see any coral dresses with sleeves that would work.  So I decided that I should consider making the dress.  I chose this pattern to try out from my stash and found some fabric scraps to try it out on. 

 I don't like spending $ on fabric for a pattern I've never tried before.  I made the size 8 top because Gwen already has plenty of clothes in her current size.   So you can see in the pictures that it is a little big, but I'll put it in the top of the closet and she will look adorable in it next summer with some leggings under it.


 She wasn't all that thrilled about doing a fashion show 1st thing in the morning.  but I had just finished it while she was sleeping and couldn't wait to check it out on her.
 My review of the pattern is this:
  • The pattern is for intermediate sewers who know how to:
    • use bias tape
    • piece together curved pattern pieces
    • handle a "3 way intersection" of pattern pieces (On the front)
    • sew a casing
    • Make a ruffle
  • The guide for the elastic on the sleeve seemed to be too big.  It was as long as the sleeve was, so it would not have made a ruffle on the sleeve as shown.  I had to take it in a bit.
    • That being sad, this is the easiest sleeve EVER!!!  I love that the top front, back and shoulder are all 1 piece.  That saves a lot of time not having to ease in a sleeve.
  • There is not interfacing, so you skip that step, but then have lots of turning under of seems and stitching them in place to reinforce.
  • I LOVE that there is no zipper and no buttons!
    • However, Where the side seems come together, the elastic was a little bulky.  Next time I will make sure that the elastic is hidden about 1/4" or 1/2" in from the edge of the seem to cut down on all that bulk and hopefully make it more comfortable to wear.
    • Also, I used 2 strips of 1" wide elastic instead of the recommended 5 strands of 1/4" elastic.  I think it still looks cute and it took way less time.
  • The wording on some of the steps was not specific enough for a beginner seamstress.
Pros and Cons aside, I LOVE this pattern. I will make it again because...
  • it is beautiful, it adjusts to fit any body type because of the elastic.
  • It is light and airy without showing too much skin.  Perfect for a hot day.
  • Elastic is SO much cheaper, easier to sew, and easier to wear than a zipper, buttons or Velcro.
  • It does not take a ton of fabric and as you can see from the pattern, you can use coordinating fabrics from your stash, so it might not cost you anything to make it!  

However, I'm not sure if it will be right for this summer's wedding.  What do you think?  It's not very fancy and there are a lot of other patterns out there.  Maybe I could dress it up with a soft crepe and some sparkly trim.

I have a few other patterns that I'm going to test out this month before I make the final call.  And hopefully I will finish my swaddling blanket tutorial soon.  I just made another swaddling blanket last week for a little miracle being sent to some friends here in New England.  When I printed out my how to swaddle directions I realized that I don't have directions on how to make the blanket, and it is so easy, I should.

-Bri


No comments:

Post a Comment