Monday, January 15, 2024

Crochet Owl Hat

Crochet Owl Hat

My niece in her new owl hat

Hook: H-8 (5.0mm) <That is what the pattern says, but I sized down to a G because I made one that looked to open. Also, I used the smallest hook I had for the eyes, because otherwise they looked a bit crazy with the pupils having a big zig zaggy outline against the white.
Yarn: Vanna's Choice medium worsted weight yarn (I used some soft baby yarn I had on hand)
Time Investment: I made the hat in one night because I was so excited to see it come together, but in the future I would probably crochet the hat and ear flaps on night, then the details the next night.
Pros: This pattern has directions for all sizes. I also love how the details of the ears and braids that come down form the ear flaps used all 3 colors of yarn from the hat creating cohesion and visual interest at the same time.
Cons: maybe this is because I did not use the recommended yarn, but the weave was fairly open, if I am going to bother with a hat, I want the weave to be nice and closed/tight so cold air does not blow into my ears.
Would I make it again? yes 

Since I've been having so much fun knitting and collecting patterns, I messaged my Brother and Sister-in-law, who have a new 6-month-old baby. I told them I had been having fun knitting and asked them if there was anything they needed for the new baby that I could make for them. They said their older daughters have owl hats that my sister gave them. They asked for me to make a coordinating hat for the baby.
It brought a big smile to my face because one of my old friends/crochet teachers sent one of these owl hats to my Son Tobi when he was a baby. I love it when life comes full circle.

My son in his owl hat from Aimee many years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment