Monday, January 15, 2024

Knit Market Bag

 For the holiday Bazaar in November, I made a LOT of little knit stockings. It reminded me how much I enjoy a good craft project and how little mess a knitting project creates compared to a sewing project. I was reminded of 4 friends and family members who have taken the time with me over the years to teach me how to knit and crochet (My great aunts, my mom, Aimee, and Ginger.) Thanks ladies for helping me through the awkward stages of learning this skill so I can pick it back up whenever I like and continue learning new things with the knowledge, skills, and confidence you have given me. I think I you all everytime I pick up my needles or hook.

Knit Market Bag

I started with a knit market bag for my daughter. She loves being friendly to the environment and bringing her own bag places. So I made it with that in mind. 

Photo from Sheep&Stitch.com

Pattern:

Website: Market Bag Knitting Pattern (and Free Video Tutorial) - Sheep and Stitch

Youtube: https://youtu.be/jHwBql133Zo?si=By6bXTEGzt3PLNUj

Needles: 32″ 3.5mm circular needle

Yarn: 2 Skeins Cotton yarn (You will only need a small amount of the 2nd skein)

Time Investment:

I made some mistakes my first time around interpreting the pattern, so I had to start again and watch the youtube video to clarify what I was missing. But once I got things figured out, it took me about 4 weeks of knitting as we watched TV as a family each night before bed.

Pros:

The bag looked small when I completed it, but it stretches very nicely and adjusts well to most items you might want to put in it.

Cons: 

What I noticed was that since it took a whole skein of yarn + a little of a second, when not in use, the bag does not condense well. It takes up as much room as a skein of yarn would.  

Also, the open lacework that makes it stretch so easily, allows rain/dirt to come into the bag. So it was good for my daughter's California vacation but it might not protect her books when she takes it home to rainy Seattle.

Would I make it again:

Yes, if I had another environmentally-friendly friend I wanted to make something for. I presented this bag to my daughter when she came home for the holidays. She had to travel so light that she was not able to bring a purse/bag to put her wallet in. She ALWAYS loves to carry a book with her wherever she goes, so she seemed happy to receive it and used it to take her wallet, book, and personal items with her wherever she went during her 2-week visit.

If I wanted to make something similar that condensed better, my mother told me to try something called "jute" (I'm not sure of the spelling) that is much thinner.

I have some more projects I am going to make with the leftover cotton yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment