Monday, January 15, 2024

Holiday Bazaar Prep

My kids are frequently asking if they can sell stuff to our neighbors. Not for a school fundraiser, just in an effort to earn some cash above and beyond their allowance. The boys normally want to do a lemonade stand but over the years, we have had the kids pop up stands in the front yard to sell paper airplanes, bracelets, hot chocolate... 

However, living on base, there are some strict rules about selling stuff to prevent competition with the Government-run stores/facilities. So you have to wait for opportunities offered by the base and do it on their schedule. In Gulfport it was the quarterly garage sale. Here in Lemoore, we have signed up to sell stuff in a booth at the annual Holiday Bazaar.

Here are the items we prepared to sell at the bazaar:

Keepsake Ornament-Dog Tags $3 each 

I ordered some dog tags with the name of the base and "Christmas 2023" imprinted on them to sell as ornaments. With Shipping and handling, we paid $1 for each, the kids will get $2 profit off of each tag sold. I was surprised, these didn't sell as well as I thought they would. But my husband enjoyed passing them out at work, so it turned out okay.



Salt dough snowflakes $2 for a set of 3.

These are cheap to make with items already in your kitchen and craft area. Plus they are made by children, so no one is paying top dollar for them. They were purchased by people who wanted to give a few bucks to the kids to be nice. The kids helped in the following ways:
  • mix the dough
  • paint them
  • glue the white glitter dust on
  • cut the strings
  • attach the strings
I rolled the dough/cut out the shapes to ensure they stayed uniform/cooked properly. I also drilled the holes for the strings to make sure they did not all break in the process.

Candy Ornament-Knit stockings  $4 each

The cost of the yarn was minimal per stocking, but it takes me about 5 hours to knit each one. So $4 is a steal. Each stocking is just the right size to put a fun-sized KitKat bar inside of it.


Kissy Creatures $3 each 

$0.11 of Plastic canvas per Kissy Creature and scraps of yarn from my stockings, but they take a full night to put one together. $2.89 Profit per Kissy Creature. Again, these are a steal when you consider the time it takes to make one. I also bough googley eyes because I thought they looked better than the slanty eyes in the examples I saw, but the eyes I bought turned out to be cheep, some of them were defective and others broke after I glued them on.


Peanut Butter "Cups" $2.00 each

about $13.79 to buy ingredients for a double batch. Put them in the large pan (1 size up from 9x13) and cut them into squares 4 across by 6 wide $1.43 profit per square
Peanut Butter Cup Labels. (Cut in strips and wrap around each one.) 





Caramels $0.75 each

it costs $0.22 to make each caramel. My recipe makes about 30 1"x3" pieces with plenty to be cut off of the edges for us to snack on. selling at $0.75 will give us $0.53 profit per piece. These were my bestsellers because they were my least expensive item. Caramel lovers would buy one, then come back to buy some more after they it and realized how delicious they were :)

Caramel Labels (Print 9 pages per sheet, cut on dotted lines and wrap around each caramel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment